Friday, September 11, 2009

9


Frankly, I would've preferred the film to have had no dialog. The facial expressions in these little stitch-people were expressive enough that I feel the writers could've found a way around using talking. Indeed, the writing was somewhat cheesy and disjointed. Matters weren't helped by occasionally wooden delivery from the voice actors. However, oddly enough, the under-developed nature of the writing fit and worked in a certain sense, given the background of the stitch-people.
So I was a tad indifferent to the writing and plot, but I did find the post-apocalyptic Gothic steampunk visual look of the thing to be absolutely fantastic. There's some awesome imagery to behold. For the menacing, red-eyed design of the Machines, they clearly took a page from the Matrix. I'll go ahead and say that 9 is at least worth a watch for its eye candy. If you have the time, go see this thing. Not a must watch, though.

3 comments:

  1. I'd say it's worth a rental, but that's about it.

    The scavenged-tech feel and the bad-guy monster designs were phenominal, but I didn't like the rag-doll desgins themselves so much, and both the acting and the plot/writing were pretty much completely terrible.

    Some great moments, but ultimately really no depth or meat at all. Just rent it for the pretty action scenes, basically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I need very little discouragement to give movies in theatres a pass, so this will do.

    I just hope Bekmambetov gets more chances to make it big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since he was just a producer on this, it really doesn't have that much to do with him.

    ReplyDelete